Our virtual private server hosting provides the control and speed you need with the flexibility and predictable price you want.
FirstLink VPS Hosting Options With You in Mind.
Less than 8 or greater than 32
Less than 60 or greater than 100
Whether you’re stuck, looking for more technical specs or just want some tips on where to start, hit up our knowledgeable tech team anytime.
VPS Hosting Empowers You
FirstLink VPS give you access to the full power of CPU and RAM that you purchase, unlike other hosting providers that meter your CPU time and throttle you when you burst above your allocated credits or charge you more to prevent throttling. For a predictable rate, you can count on having access to the resources you pay for with FirstLink VPS.
Full Control and Flexibility – VPS solutions are flexible and put you in full control of your operating system. Full root/administrator access allows you to configure your server for your needs.
High Performance – VPS hosting is stable and secure, and the server’s resources are yours, including processor, RAM, and disk space. There is no sharing and no need to worry about someone else’s runaway process dragging down the performance of your server.
Simple to Scale – You are not locked in to a contract and your server environment is easy to scale at any time. Increase the size of your VPS or spin up additional instances to suit your needs as your business grows.
Multiple Data Centers – Our primary data center is located in Downtown Denver and we partner to have subsidiary data centers around the globe.
Guaranteed Up-time – We are confident in our infrastructure and guarantee 99.9% up-time.
Predictable Pricing – No penalties or unforeseen fees just because your application was busier this month than last month. Pay for the size of VPS you need and the bill will be predictable from month to month.
Customer Support – Many hosting companies boast customer support, but ours is Tier 1 technical support on the first “hello”. No need to wade through a phone tree to get an answer. Our techies answer the phone.
VPS Hosting FAQs
What is VPS?
A VPS or virtual private server, is form of virtualization that allows an instance of an operating system to be hosted on a virtual machine that is isolated from other operating systems on the same physical server. This provides the virtual machine with its own dedicated resources and isolates your instance from other instances in the hosting environment, without the need to purchase an entire bare metal server. The VPS lives in a hardware clustered environment so it is resilient to any hardware failures that might otherwise cause a single bare metal server to experience an outage.
What is VPS hosting used for?
It is often used by websites and other applications that require more resources or control than can be provided by shared hosting, but do not need the resources or cost of a dedicated bare metal server. Some common use cases for VPS hosting include:
- Websites and other applications with high traffic or that expect to see a significant increase in traffic in the future
- Applications that require a high level of security, such as e-commerce or financial sites
- Sites that need a high level of customization, such as those that require the use of custom software or scripts
- Applications other than a typical website, such as ETL processing, game servers, email servers, personal development environments or test servers – if it runs on x86, a VPS might be the perfect place for it
Overall, VPS hosting is a good option for applications that need more resources, customization, or control than shared hosting can provide.
What are the differences between VPS hosting and shared hosting?
There are several key differences between VPS hosting and shared hosting:
- Resources: In shared hosting, your tenant shares resources with other tenants on the same server. In VPS hosting, an instance has its own dedicated resources on a virtual private server.
- Control: With shared hosting you may be restricted from running certain software or from having root access to the server. With VPS hosting the instance is your own and you have full root/administrator privileges and full console/shell access to customize or install whatever software you need.
- Performance: Because an instance in VPS hosting has its own dedicated resources, it can provide a consistent level of performance that you may not find in a shared hosting environment.
- Cost: Shared hosting is generally less expensive than VPS hosting but comes at the trade-off of less predictable performance. VPS hosting is more expensive, but provides better performance and control.
Scalability: VPS hosting allows the instance owner to increase resources (additional CPU, RAM, or disk space or bandwidth) as their application’s needs increase.
Does a VPS require a lot of technical knowledge?
Using a Windows or Linux virtual private server (VPS) does not necessarily require a lot of technical knowledge, FirstLink offers tools to make management easy and we offer technical assistance to help you get up and running.
Will I get any kind of assistance while using VPS?
At FirstLink we offer both fully-managed and self-managed VPS. With fully-managed VPS, we handle the installation, configuration, and maintenance of the operating system, applications, and any other software or services on the VPS. This option is suitable for users who are not familiar with operating systems or do not wish to manage their own server – this lets you focus on your business and we can take care of the tech stuff for you.
What is a self-managed VPS?
Self-managed VPS does not include any management or support from FirstLink. This means that after selecting the size of the VPS and what Operating System, the customer is responsible for the configuration and maintenance of the operating system, applications, and any other software or services on the VPS.
A self-managed VPS is generally more suitable for experienced users who have the technical skills and resources to manage their own server. It offers a high degree of privacy, flexibility, and control.
How do I back-up my VPS data? Our VPS hosting includes snapshot backup capability and you can always configure your own custom backup solution to keep a copy of your data anywhere you wish.